Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer





The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is definitely one of the more interesting books that I've read this year. A psychological thriller, this book had me guessing the entire time as to what was happening. Unlike Possession, however, I wasn't rereading paragraphs to understand what was happening. Instead, I was going, "No way that just happened!"

Michelle Hodkin was at the same author panel that I attended a few months ago and her story of how she started writing this book intrigued me. Mara Dyer is her first book and it's good. I can see why so many people like it. Mara is fascinating as a character. She's had a traumatic experience that has affected her deeply. She see things that aren't there, hears things that don't exist. And it makes the reader guess whether this is one of her episodes or if it's really happening. Just when I thought I had figured things out, the story twists into something completely different. I never saw it coming. Maybe I needed to pay attention more, but there you go. I was caught up in the story.

On a side note, there is a bit of swearing, including the "f" word. And since teenagers are involved, there is a bit of sexual innuendos, although there isn't any sex. Kissing, yes. But no sex. You have been warned.

And the best/worst part is the book leaves you wanting more. It ends suddenly and on a note of "No way!" So book 2 will be coming out, I'm sure of it. Prepare yourselves that this isn't a neat little story all wrapped at the end. It does answer some questions, but leaves plenty for book 2.

All in all, this was a fun, exciting read.


No comments:

Post a Comment