Wednesday, December 21, 2011

From Pennies to Possession

 Two more books down! What a great month it has been for reading. I've been really busy at work, but still found some time to read for pleasure.

First up is Carla Kelly's The Admiral's Penniless Bride. It's been about a year since Carla joined the ranks of CFI's authors and I've had the wonderful pleasure of working with her. She's awesome. She sent me this book after Borrowed Light was published, with a little warning that it was a little "spicey," or something like that.

And, indeed, it is. This is a harlequin, after all. There are a couple of sex scenes (I skipped over those) and mentions some child abuse. 

Overall, the book is quite delightful, filled with interesting and intriguing characters and a scenario that's fun. The protagonists enter in an agreement of marriage, one to save him from his sisters' nagging and the other to save her from a life of poverty. What started out as a marriage of convenience, however, turns into a happy romance. I love how Carla writes and her characters are so much fun. Although I can't really suggest this book as being the best clean read, I do suggest checking out her books with CFI, Borrowed Light and Enduring Light. They are fantastic, and she's writing more novels for us. Also, for those that are interested, we are also making several of Carla's classics as ebooks. And I get to edit all of them. :)


The second is Possession by Elana Johnson. What a fascinating, quick read. My only complaint with this book is that it goes so fast, the plot constantly jumping, that I had to stop several times and ask, "What just happened here?" In a technological society where everyone is either labeled "Bad" or "Good," Violet decides that she's sick of following the rules and runs into trouble. The writing is crisp and clear, but there are a lot of things to take in, so it took me awhile to figure out what  was really going on. And then you throw in some awesome powers, such as controlling other people by voice or even mere thoughts, and you have one heck of a ride. The bad news is that it sets up a sequel and doesn't end happily. Be forewarned. You will want to read the sequel. This ending just cannot be.

This is what happens when you go to an author panel at the Provo Library. You want to read the authors' books. And it hijacks the order that I had planned. In any case, more book reviews to come. My shelf is still full, and I desperately need to get the stack down.

Here's to more reading. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment