Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Some sound advice from Sis. Beck





I had the opportunity to go to a tri-stake Relief Society meeting, where Sis. Julie B. Beck spoke. It was an amazing experience, one that I won't forget anytime soon. The entire chapel and gymnasium were filled with sisters. My mom and I were fortunate enough to sit in the chapel on a side bench because we got there early enough to claim a "good" spot. Sis. Beck was friendly, open, and down to earth. She let us ask questions and she would answer them. Here are a few highlights:


  • We need to protect the Spirit from other influences that will drive it away.
  • Make every day a scripture day. She mentioned that she had "failed" all programs to read the scriptures until she decided to read something everyday. It didn't have to be a whole chapter, a specific set of scriptures, or following a reading schedule. And through the simple act of reading something, she developed a love and gave more time to scripture study. 
  • Just do the best you can with your priorities: there are essential things, necessary things, and nice-to-do things.
  • If you don't have a testimony of visiting teaching, now is the time to get one.
  • Greatest danger to young mothers is escape. Don't run from your responsibilities when it gets too hard.
  • If you're comparing yourself to other women, you're using the wrong measure.
  • How good is good enough? The only one who can tell you that is the Lord.
  • We're competing against unreal identities—and we can't run away from the divine calling and eternal identity of mother.
Sis. Beck is one of my personal heroes. If I can be like her, then I've accomplished something good in my life.

1 comment:

  1. I really like Sister Beck! Good reminders!

    So cool about the picture of the campground. Oh how I remember the pool---brrrrr! How cool that we have these little connections!

    ReplyDelete