Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Big Over Easy

I will be upfront and say that The Big Over Easy wasn't one of my favorite books to read, which isn't to say it isn't written well, because it's witty, has several laugh-out-loud moments, and is quite clever. But . . . it was a little bizarre for me.

With the popularity increase of fairy tales (Once Upon a Time; Mirror, Mirror; and so on), The Big Over Easy fits right in, and I was eager to see how the author entwined the fairy tale characters into one world. It focuses on Jack Spratt, detective of the lowly Nursery Crime Division, and his investigation of Humpty Dumpty's death. Numerous fairy tale characters popped as detectives, suspects, family members, and wealthy entrepreneurs.  As Jack starts to make headway with case, he's confronted by corrupted police officers and bewildering connections. And overall it was a lot of fun. Yet it was just a little strange from time to time. From the mad scientist that put a kitten's head on a fish to the mansion that wasn't all that it seemed to be, this book poked fun at detective story stereotypes and plots. And it made for a bewildering experience.

Yet the book has not left me. I still think about the plot . . . and the ending. That ending was something else, and apparently quite memorable. I finished this book about a month ago and I can still remember a lot of details, which is pretty amazing.  And it makes me think that perhaps I should give another of Jasper Fforde's books a try. You never know, I might like it better.

 There is some mild swearing and a few adult-type situations, so it's not really meant for kids. I would give it 3 out of 5 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment